This article is all about ladder height calculator charts that assist you to find the right height ladder for your job.
Since you can’t deny that finding the ideal height ladder for any job is important but it is somehow tricky to select. Because you need to consider several factors like ladder height, working height, your height, and ladder type.
Apparently, in such circumstances, people often get confused and fail to choose the proper ladder for their job that sometimes leads them to fatal accidents.
So, we are here to help you to calculate the ladder perfect height and ideal ladder type for your jobs.
Continue reading and gather proper knowledge.
Different Sort of Ladder height calculator charts
First of all, different types of ladders are used for different types of jobs, and obviously, each ladder height calculator chart is different.
So, in order to use any type of ladder safely, you need to acknowledge their distinctive height chart along with their maximum reach.
In the below section, we have listed different types of ladder height chart and their working area one by one.
Let’s get started with the step ladder
1. Step ladder height chart
Starting with step ladder definition, it is a self-supported ladder design in A-frame layout whereas both side rungs are lock with spreaders bars.
It is fixed in length, remains stable in place without support, is non-adjustable in feature, and is highly portable.
The maximum type of step ladder is meant to design for one person to use at a time. But there are a few designs of ladders called twin step ladders that can be used by two-person at a time.
Generally, a step ladder is mostly used for the household courses for indoor work like cleaning or repairing a ceiling, changing the bulb or curtain, painting the indoor wall, access to the high cabinet, and so on.
Interestingly, calculating the step ladder height is easier if compared to another sort of ladder.
In this case, one must keep in mind, the step ladder approximately needs 4ft of the work area for user safety to reach on working place and user safe stand on the rungs.
Take a look at the step ladder height calculator chart to determine what height step ladder you need.
STEP LADDER REACH CALCULATION
|Ladder Height||Maximum Reach|
|4 Feet||8 Feet|
|6 Feet||10 Feet|
|8 Feet||12 Feet|
|10 Feet||14 Feet|
|12 Feet||16 Feet|
|14 Feet||18 Feet|
|16 Feet||20 Feet|
|18 Feet||22 Feet|
|20 Feet||24 Feet|
Now, for example, you need to work on a 10 feet ceiling from the ground then you need a 6 feet step ladder. Similarly, if your working area is 12 feet from the ground you need an 8 feet step ladder.
Meaning that you need 4 feet of working space in every height step ladder.
Although step ladders are safe in use in spite of that there are few safety rules of step ladder you should follow for proper protection.
Remember few points
- Never use the top three rungs of any step ladder
- Make sure you place a ladder on stable ground
- Never use a step ladder as a leaning or straight ladder
- Always maintain 3 points of contact while on the ladder
- Do not overload your weight with other accessories
If you are looking for a step ladder then don’t forget to check out the step ladder reviews.
2. Extension ladder height chart
Moving to the next category the multipurpose and broadly used ladder name is extension ladder. Unlike step ladders, extension ladders require stable support to stand in place and design in a straight layout.
An extension ladder is built in two parts whereas one part is fixed and another is customizable and known as the flying part. Yes, extension ladders allow users to adjust the length according to user needs.
And this special feature makes this ladder most desirable for the maximum type of professional work where users need to access higher height.
Along with warehouses and other industrial work, extension ladders are also fantastic for household work like cleaning gutters, reaching the rooftop, painting outdoor walls, and so on.
However similar to the basic step ladder extension ladder also allow one person to use it at a time.
Now difficulty comes when you need to calculate extension ladder height as per your working height.
Don’t worry we have a stunning solution for extension ladder height calculation. We have thoroughly described the extension ladder main length to their maximum reach length along with some extra advice.
EXTENSION LADDER REACH CALCULATION
|Ladder Height||Maximum Reach||Highest Point Ladder User Could Touch|
|16 Feet||15 Feet||9 Feet|
|20 Feet||19 Feet||9 to 13 Feet|
|24 Feet||23 Feet||13 to 17 Feet|
|28 Feet||27 Feet||17 to 21 Feet|
|32 Feet||31Feet||21 to 25 Feet|
|36 Feet||34 Feet||25 to 28 Feet|
|40 Feet||37 Feet||28 to 31 Feet|
More clearly speaking, a 20 feet extension ladder can be highly measured as 18 to 19 feet because the extension ladder has 1-2 inches overlap among the base and fly parts.
Moreover, the extension ladder has to be placed against any solid construction and there you need to follow a 4:1 ratio angle.
And for angle maintenance for every 4 feet working height, you need to place your ladder 1 foot away from the supporting wall.
Now for example, if you want to reach 15 feet height then you need an 18 feet ladder. Again, if you’re working height is 18 feet you need a 21 feet ladder.
- With that said, for any extension ladder project, a good rule is to measure 3ft extra length.
Well, an extension ladder length starts from 16 feet and mostly ends at 40 feet design. Now essentially as extension ladders need support to stand on the ground so you should follow a few basic extension ladder safety advice.
In addition, you must follow the ladder 4:1 ratio rule. For further information about how to place an extension ladder base on the ground see our How to Place Ladder with Proper Ladder Angle article.
Don’t worry it is very easy to learn so be confident.
Remember few points
- Extension ladder is featured with 1-2 inches overlap between the base and fly section. So, at the time of height calculation, you need to take it into consideration. For example, if your ladder height is 16 feet, for the overlap you get the maximum 14-15 feet working height.
- You must not stand on top 3-4 rungs of any extension ladder
- When you using the ladder on a gutter or rooftop then always extend at least 3 feet from the top
- Plus, at the time of working on rooftop and gutter with extension ladder don’t forget to tie off the ladder properly
- Most extension ladder accidents occur for wrong base placement so carefully follow the ladder angle rule
Don’t forget to check our latest extension ladder review and analysis.
3. Telescoping ladder height chart
The next up to our list is a telescoping ladder that is quite similar to the extension ladder in terms of length adjusting.
In fact, telescoping ladders are more flexible than extension ladders since it allows the user to expand the ladder height exactly how much length the user needs.
But telescoping ladders have height limitations since most telescoping ladders are designed in the highest 15 to 17 feet layout.
Therefore, it also needs support to stand on the ground but it is not super strong in case of long height work like step and extension ladder.
However, telescoping ladders don’t bear two parts similar to an extension ladder; rather it has locking features that assist users to expand the height and lock the section accordingly.
Actually, it is a good ladder when you need a little extra height than a step and less high height than an extension ladder.
More or less, it looks like a single, straight, or leaning ladder but unlike other sorts of the ladder, it has super portability.
Well, the telescoping ladder height chart is also applicable for any type of leaning, straight or single ladder height calculation.
TELESCOPING, STRAIGHT AND SINGLE LADDER REACH CALCULATION
|Ladder Height||Maximum Reach|
|8 Feet||7 Feet|
|10 Feet||9 Feet|
|12 Feet||11 Feet|
|14 Feet||13 Feet|
|16 Feet||15 Feet|
Remember few points
- Telescoping ladder has no overlap like extension ladder so you don’t need to measure it like an extension ladder
- If you work on a rooftop or gutter then never tie off the ladder with anything tight than ladder weight
- At the time of ladder base placement maintain ladder angle rule properly to avoid an accident
- Not all type of telescoping ladder is not good for heavy-duty work so be careful
4. Multipurpose ladder height chart
Apart from step, extension, telescoping, and single ladder, there is another popular type of ladder is the multipurpose ladder.
Since it is a multipurpose ladder, it has no exact form and length. Users customized its type and length according to their needs.
In this stage, the multi-purpose ladder has no fixed height chart. When you use this ladder like a step ladder you need to follow the step ladder height chart. Further, when you use this as an extension ladder you have to follow the extension ladder height chart.
The multipurpose ladder has many advantages along with few limitations and it would be good if you read one particular review of this type of ladder.
Consider These Ladder Safety Tips While Working on height
According to Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), every ladder user has to obey few ladders safety tips for any sort of ladder using. Take a look.
- On the top, inspect ladder condition and check the ladder is in working condition. It is free from any damage, the locking mechanism working perfectly, it is free from rust, oil, dents, and others.
- Before starting an outdoor project check the weather and never use the ladder in stormy or other bad weather situations
- Make sure you have place ladder base on stable ground
- Maintain ladder angle rule for ladder base placement
- Always face the ladder while climbing up and down
- Wear safety shoes at the time of climbing
- Always maintain 3 points of contact while on a ladder (except when you are on a platform ladder)
- For electrical and powerline side work use a fiberglass ladder because it does not conduct with electricity
- Try not to carry extra accessories with the hand rather use a ladder belt
- Do not overreach
- It is recommended to avoid extra load than ladder allow weight capacity
Check the ladder load capacity
Along with the ladder height calculation, you should also follow ladder load capacity for safety.
|Ladder Type||Load Capacity||Brief Description|
|TYPE-IAA||375 IBS||Special duty|
|TYPE-IA||300 IBS||Extra Heavy-duty|
|TYPE-I||250 IBS||Heavy duty|
|TYPE-II||225 IBS||Medium duty|
|TYPE-III||200 IBS||Light duty|
For further convenience, we have listed a some often use accessories weights for the better assumption. Let’s have a look.
|Accessories List||Approximate Weight|
|Toolbox with toolset||30-35 IBS|
|Ceiling fan||25-30 IBS|
|Portable spray||15-20 IBS|
|Sheet of plywood||70-80 IBS|
|5 gallons of the paint bucket||55-60 IBS|
Note: This chart is only for different accessories weight assumptions nothing more.
Frequently Asked Questions about ladder angle rule
- Why do I need to follow the 4:1 ratio rule at the time of ladder height measurement?
Answer: Visibly, you want to know the ladder height calculation for choosing the ideal ladder height and safety climbing. Consequently, any single, extension or telescoping ladder can’t ensure safety unless you follow the 4:1 ratio rule at the time of ladder base placement.
It is as important as your height chart calculation and you can’t deny it under any condition.
- Is the 4:1 ratio rule difficult to understand?
Answer: No, it is very easy to understand. For example: if you want to reach 12 feet height then you need to place your ladder 3 feet away from the supporting place.
Meaning, for every 4 feet you need to place your ladder 1 foot away from the supporting wall.
- What is the most unavoidable ladder safety rule?
Answer: Our mention, all safety rules are extensive and you need to obey all the rules carefully. But in the case of priority, you must have to follow the 3 points of contract rule (two-foot and one hand or two hands one-foot connection) every time you climb up on a ladder.
- What is the cause of maximum ladder accidents?
Answer: There are few reasons behind for ladder fatal accident. Among the most common causes are- fail to place the ladder base following the right-angle rule, overloaded, overreach, and failure to measure ladder height according to working height.
- How do I learn what size ladder I need?
Answer: Firstly, measure your working height then follow our above-mentioned height chart according to your ladder type. And then you will learn that what size ladder you need for your project.
That is all we have today. Hopefully, you have found our above discussion, technique, and chart of ladder height calculator helpful. We have provided all information regarding the ladder height chart. In fact, try to provide extra tips and guidance for better understand.
Good luck with your ladder project and hope for your safety while working.