How to use a ladder on stairs is the most ancient question evermore asked by the user of the ladder around the world. As we all know, no matter what type of ladder you are using, it has always been tricky to use it on stairs.
Besides, using the ladder on the stair is dangerous and at the same time accidental. It can cause a deadly fall if you are not placing it correctly.
Consequently, it would be best if you had an appropriate solution. It should be safe, comfortable, and cost-effective as well.
However, you will not use the ladder on the stairs every day. You might need to use the ladder on a stair on a few occasions. Those are included:
- Painting your staircase ceiling and wall
- Decorating the staircase sidewall or ceiling
- Repairing or renovating the staircase ceiling, sidewall or others.
- Changing or installing light bulb in staircase ceiling or sidewall
- Hanging curtain or other accessories along stairs
Eventually, you could not afford to cost a vast penny for those occasional uses. So, what can you do?
The question is tricky, but we have multiple solutions for this.
6 Different Ways to Use A Ladder on Stairs (Cost Effective and Safe)
After searching for the ultimate answer to how to use a ladder on stairs, we end up with six solutions. However, each method would work fine. But it’s obvious; every solution has advantages and disadvantages. So, we included all and left it to you to find out which way you like most.
Continue reading and unfold your quick fix.
Ladder aide is ideal if you want to use extension, straight and telescoping ladder on stairs.
The ladder-aide is the first and most convenient solution to use a ladder on stairs. Yes, you can use an extension ladder on the stair if you have ladder-aide in your hand.
Ladder-aide is compact in design and very handy in use without requiring permanent installation. It is an additional tool that layouts out three parts: the base, the platforms, and the upright.
Firstly, place the base part on the lower stair and slide the upright into the base.
Next, place the platform on the upper stair and down it to touch the upper step.
Thirdly, insert the locking pin to make it secure.
Finally, you can place the ladder feet on the ladder- aide platform and safely use it.
The maximum ladder-aide is composed with an anti-skid surface to restrain the slippery and accidents. Besides features with the micro-adjustable height, it is ideal for both home and industrial use. If you got confused, see the picture for a clearer view.
Bottom line: Ladder-aide can bear up to 500 pounds weight depending on the brands and capacity of ladder-aide. So before use, any ladder on ladder-aide finds out how much weight it can bear. However, ladder-aide is reasonable in price and easiest to use. So you can blindly try it out.
- It does not require permanent installation
- You can pick and place your ladder on it
- It is sturdy, stable, and secure
- Can bear heavyweight
- Allow you to adjust the ladder height
- Not require larger space
- Can easily transport one place to another
- It only works for extension, straight, and leaning ladder
2. Ladder levelers or leg extenders
Next, we have another solution known as ladder levelers or leg extenders. By the way, the official name of the tool is ladder levelers. You can call this an extra leg of the ladder, which you must install permanently.
This method is also applicable if you use an extension or straight ladder on stairs.
In this method, you can extend both ladder legs. And can use your ladder for any uneven surface. For example, Sloping hillsides, slippery ground, staircases, etc.
However, the installing is easy and simple. You need to follow three-step.
Step-1: You have to lay your ladder on the ground where the base half of the ladder faces upwards. Then take a socket set and open-end wrench. Now carefully dispel the bolts already placed in the swivel foot to the bottom of every ladder.
Step-2: Follow the manufacturer’s instructions and adjust the ladder leveler against the ladder’s rail. And find a drill hole on the rails over the leveler’s leg hole. Dispel the leg and correctly drill the pilot hole on each side.
Step-3: Looking forward and rearranging the ladder leveler’s leg across the rails. Adjust the leveler’s leg and pilot hole in the rail. Finally, drop the mounting blots in every hole, hook up the nut, washer, lock washer, and make it tighten and complete the installation.
Bottom line: Ladder levelers fit the maximum ladder type, including extension, fiberglass, aluminum, articulating, and more. Although ladder levelers allow you to carry extra tools, but might not be ideal for the household ladder. It requires permanent installation, so it is perfect for industrial jobs.
- You never have to think of any obstacle to using a ladder on stairs or other surfaces.
- It is very safe to use
- Perfect for any long time project
- Ladder extenders are a bit expensive
- You need to install in permanently
- It makes ladder weighty to carry
- You need big space to store the ladder with leg extenders.
3. Use Scaffolding
Using temporary scaffolding is the most ancient way to use a ladder on the stairs. This type of platform is generally used to work for professional use. Appropriate for those places where you need to cover the whole wall for work purposes like painting or DIY projects.
Besides, if you want to know how to use the step ladder on stairs, this method meets your need.
For making the makeshift scaffolding, you need one step ladder and one extension ladder. However, there must have an overhanging wall against the stair where you desire to execute the process.
Next, you have to lean your extension ladder against the wall and place the step ladder at the top of the stairs. Then you need a sturdy platform that is strong enough to bear your weight and accessories.
Bottom line: Although this old method works great, it has significant conditions. Yes, you need two ladders: a step ladder and an extension ladder and an additional straight, sturdy platform. Therefore if you are absent from this stuff, this method is not for you.
- You can use a step ladder in this method
- This system can support heavyweight
- It can cover the whole stair wall and ceiling
- Not requiring any permanent installation
- Effective to use on flat ground and staircase
- You need two ladders ( which is a bit hassle)
- Need to arrange or buy sturdy platform
- Require additional helping hand
- It only works if you have an overhanging wall
4. Use wedge-style tools
In the 4th number place, we have introduced you to an installing free solution. You can use the wedge-style stool on the staircase and uneven surfaces like a hillside and level ground.
This tool is a bit heavy compared with ladder-aide, but it works fine. Now place the wedge-style stools beneath the ladder feet on the lower staircase. And it is ready to use. It uplifts your ladder in one step. Keep a balance between the ladders two feet.
Bottom line: The wedge-style stool is good. But it is not an ideal solution if you have a slippery staircase. Since the maximum wedge-style tool cannot prevent slippery and accidents. Likewise much heavy to carry and shift. So if you wish to use this, be careful to take enough precautions.
- It is cost-effective
- Don’t require any installing and extra effort
- Wedge style stool in big ( bulky)
- It slips easily on a surface ( use ladder mat with it)
- Wedge style stool is not entirely designed for stairs use.
5. Use a combination ladder or multi-position ladder
Stepped out to the next solution, you can use a multi-position or combination ladder on your staircase. This type of ladder is built up with versatile features that easily allow you to work on stairs along with other surfaces.
A multi-purpose ladder can use as a step, extension, telescoping, straight ladder. Meaning that it allows you to customize the ladder type according to your need.
In that case, you can check the little giant velocity multi-position ladder featured with a staircase pattern. This ladder allows you to customize the ladder height according to your need and space. It is secure and stable in use.
However, you can assemble any combination ladder to use on stairs in three steps.
Step-1: First, straighten your ladder. Now remove all the extension parts and stand the ladder at the top stairway with the help of the stabilizer bar.
Step-2: Now, hinge the base and mid-section of the ladder to give it a step ladder pattern. After that, towards the back of the middle part opposite side rearrange the extension part.
Step-3: Lastly, place the extension part on a lower stair where you want to work. Then adjust the height and continue to do this until all locking bars are horizontal.
Your combination ladder is ready to use on stair.
Bottom line: Suppose you need to use a ladder on stairs often for home or industrial reasons. Then think no further and buy a multi-position ladder. Although it costs you once, it works like every ladder, whether you need steps, extension, or staircase ladder.
- You can adjust the ladder height.
- No need for any installing.
- Work like almost all types of ladders
- You need another person to help with the ladder setup.
- This type of ladder is expensive.
6. Made your ladder platform
You can make a ladder platform for stair use by yourself. It will be stable, right in height, and cost-effective. Therefore, as you build your ladder platform, it will be easy to set up and require no additional installation.
See the video tutorial to know how to build your ladder platform.
Bottom line: It is an old way to use a ladder on stairs. This method is simple and secure, but this one also has a few disadvantages like other methods.
- Very quick solution
- Easy to set up and use
- It is a one-time solution.
- You cant adjust ladder height from one stair to another
- Require basic DIY knowledge to build it
How to Use a Ladder on Stairs- Safety Knowledge
- Choose the right size ladder according to your working height
- Do not exceed ladder maximum weight capacity
- Use tool belt or project tray for extra accessories
- Read your ladder manual and learn about its functionality. Then attempt to use it on the stair
- Check the stair surface and make sure it is free from slippery component
- Move slowly on the ladder and try to maintain 3 points of contact
We hope after acknowledging the above mention six methods. Now you know the answer to how to use a ladder on stairs safely and comfortably. More or less, each solution has advantages and disadvantages, and it’s up to you which method you want to use.
Best of luck with your upcoming or existing stair project!
1 thought on “How to Use a Ladder on Stairs Comfortably and Safely- 6 ways”